#40ways40days is an invitation to share your story. Choose one of the 40 ‘discipleship dynamics’ below, and reflect on how it connects with your life. Then share a true story, a reflection, an image or a poem which tells us how the theme guides, challenges or intersects with your own journey of discipleship. It’s a way to get to know each other, the Biblical story, and the Spirit which inspired it.
More fully …
Long ago, Jesus spent 40 days in the wilderness learning about his identity and testing his vocation. Because of this, many of his followers choose to spend the 40 days before Easter (a time known as ‘Lent’) reflecting on their own identity and vocation in Christ. Historically, this time of shared reflection would culminate in an exuberant Easter service, at which new initiates into the community would be plunged into the waters of death and raised up into new life in Christ (‘baptism’); and those already baptized would renew their baptismal vows.
Of course, how we live into our baptismal identity and vocation varies with the cultural moment, but it is always rooted in the witness of the gospels. 2019 is the year of Luke, a year when churches around the world pay special attention to Luke’s story of Jesus’ life, ministry, death and resurrection. Therefore, this Lent we will explore 40 discipleship themes (#40ways40days) emerging from Luke’s account.
As we explore, we may notice some major themes:
- Welcoming God-as-visitor leads to an experience of God’s hospitality.
- Salvation starts in this world, today!
- Accepting salvation often means overcoming a gap between our assumptions and God’s plan.
- Wealth can be a serious block to accepting salvation.
- Insider status can be a serious block to seeing the Spirit at work in other people’s lives.
- The Spirit communicates God’s presence and assurance of salvation.
- Outwards signs of salvation include joy, wonder, praise, partying and proclamation!
#40ways40days is an invitation to reflect on who we are called to be and what we are called to do in light of this gospel. You can reflect on each of these 40 themes privately. But …
#40ways40days is also an invitation to share your story. Choose one of the 40 ‘discipleship dynamics’ below, and reflect on how it connects with your life. Then share a true story, a reflection, an image or a poem which tells us how the theme guides, challenges or intersects with your own journey of discipleship. It’s a way to get to know each other, the Biblical story, and the Spirit which inspired it.
Be aware that your reflection will go *anonymously* onto the website; but will be printed into a booklet for regular attenders with your name in it. This way we can learn more about each other as a congregation, while also providing a witness to the wider world.
In short …
1. Choose one of the themes below: whatever grabs you.
2. Let me know which you have chosen.
3. Reflect on how the theme intersects with your life. You might write three lines; you might write five paragraphs; you might generate an image.
4. Email your reflection to email@example.com BY FRIDAY 1 MARCH so it can be formatted, printed and uploaded online.
5. Invite your kids to join in, help them write or draw something on a theme, and send it through.
1. This invitation extends beyond the local congregation. If you are a regular reader of this newsletter, consider sharing your reflection with us this Lent. We’d love to hear from you!
2. If we get more than one reflection on a given day, great! We’ll use them all.
3. Consider prioritising the Lenten gathering at 4.15pm each Sunday at Sanctuary … and talking with people about their amazing reflections!
Any questions? Just ask!
40 Ways in Luke’s Story
|Wednesday 6 March||#1 Sing in the new||Luke 1-2|
|Thursday 7 March||#2 Search for the lost||Luke 2:41-51, Ch. 15|
|Friday 8 March||#3 Repent||Luke 3:8-13|
|Saturday 9 March||#4 Work ethic/s||Luke 3:11-14|
|Sunday 10 March||LENT GATHERING 1||Luke 4:1-13|
|Monday 11 March||#5 Resist Temptation||Luke 4:4-12, 22:40|
|Tuesday 12 March||#6 Join in||Luke 4:13-30; 7:22; 9:6; 10:1-7|
|Wednesday 13 March||#7 Try again||Luke 5:1-10|
|Thursday 14 March||#8 Leave and follow||Luke 5:11, 27-28; 9:23-27; 9:57-62|
|Friday 15 March||#9 Host banquets||Luke 5:29-6:5; 7:34; 9:1-10 …|
|Saturday 16 March||#10 Dance in the face of poverty and pain||Luke 6:23, 7:31-35; 10:20|
|Sunday 17 March||LENT GATHERING 2||Luke 13:31-35 or Luke 9:28-36|
|Monday 18 March||#11 Love your enemies||Luke 6:27-31|
|Tuesday 19 March||#12 Give||Luke 6:30; 11:41|
|Wednesday 20 March||#13 Do unto others||Luke 6:31; Luke 10:25-37|
|Thursday 21 March||#14 Judge not||Luke 6:37-39|
|Friday 22 March||#15 Listen||Luke 8:8, 18; 11:27; 14:35; 18:6|
|Saturday 23 March||#16 Travel light||Luke 9:1-6; 9:51-55; 10:1-16; 22:35|
|Sunday 24 March||LENT GATHERING 3||Luke 13:1-9|
|Monday 25 March||#17 Pray||Luke 11:1-12; 9:2; 18:1-8; 22:40; 17:5|
|Tuesday 26 March||#18 Shine your light||Luke 11:35; 12:2-3|
|Wednesday 27 March||#19 Beware hypocrisy||Luke 12:1, 13:56|
|Thursday 28 March||#20 Fear not||Luke 12:4-7, 32; 21:9|
|Friday 29 March||#21 Find your voice||Luke 12:11-12; 21:14|
|Saturday 30 March||#22 Guard against greed||Luke 12:15-21|
|Sunday 31 March||LENT GATHERING 4||Luke 15:1-3, 11b-32|
|Monday 1 April||#23 Seek first God’s kingdom||Luke 12:31|
|Tuesday 2 April||#24 Be ready!||Luke 12:35-40; 21:36; 22:35|
|Wednesday 3 April||#25 Compromise/Reconcile||Luke 12:57-59|
|Thursday 4 April||#26 Enter the narrow door||Luke 13:24|
|Friday 5 April||#27 Choose the cheap seats||Luke 14:8; 20:46|
|Saturday 6 April||#28 Invite the poor||Luke 14:12-14|
|Sunday 7 April||LENT GATHERING 5||John 12:1-8|
|Monday 8 April||#29 Choose your friends||Luke 16:1-9|
|Tuesday 9 April||#30 Mind the gap||Luke 16:19-31|
|Wednesday 10 April||#31 Forgive||Luke 17:3-4; 6:36-50; 22:34|
|Thursday 11 April||#32 Resist privilege||Luke 17:7-10; 3:8-10|
|Friday 12 April||#33 Remember Lot’s Wife||Luke 17:20-37|
|Saturday 13 April||#34 Welcome children||Luke 18:15-17|
|Sunday 14 April||PALM SUNDAY||Luke 19:28-40, Luke 22:14-23:56|
|Monday 15 April||#35 Render unto Caesar||Luke 20:20-26|
|Tuesday 16 April||#36 Beware of spiritual frauds||Luke 21:8|
|Wednesday 17 April||#37 Expect apocalypse||Luke 21:23|
|Thursday 18 April||#38 Consider the signs||Luke 21:29|
|Friday 19 April||#39 Serve||Luke 22:25-26|
|Saturday 20 April||#40 Receive Spiritual Power||Luke 24:49|
|Sunday 21 April||DAWN SERVICE||Luke 24:1-12|
Concept by Marcus Curnow; image credit: Marcus Curnow; used and slightly adapted with consultation and permission – just as he uses and adapts our stuff!