Sanctuary has just turned 4! And so this week’s cartalk / tabletalk is going off lectionary as we reflect on how Sanctuary is a gift to the world: ‘salt’ and ‘light’ in Jesus’s terms. When we wondered about this during the service, people observed that Sanctuary is a place to be authentic, to be accepted, to be yourself. It’s a place to share the journey and nourish each other; it’s a place of protection and refuge; a place to be loved. And it’s a place with challenging Bible teaching!
These are all good things, but internally focused. Of course, what sort of space we create together is in itself an important witness to God’s kingdom-culture. Yet is this the only way we are salt and light? And if so, then how does the world know about it? Or is our light mostly hidden under a bushel basket?
- READ: Matthew 5:13-16 (Year A Epiphany 5)
You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot.
You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:13-16)
- REFLECT: Who seems salty or radiant to you? What makes a person or group salty? What makes them / it radiant? What other words could describe them?
- RELATE: What gifts do you see Sanctuary sharing with the world? How does the world know about us? Or do we keep ourselves mostly private, hidden? How could we shine more radiantly? Talk about it.
- RESPOND: Is God calling you or us to any practical response now? Pray about it, then act, or talk to one of the leaders if it requires a group response.
- REPORT: If you or your household do take action, text or email a photo of that action to Sanctuary with a brief explanation. We can use it during the service or, with your permission, add it to the Facebook page.
Cartalk / Tabletalk © Sanctuary, 2020. Year A Epiphany 5. Image credit: Evgeni Tcherkasski on Unsplash.
Cartalk / Tabletalk
If this helped you talk about faith with your household, why not share it on social media? And why not flick us a small donation, to support our ministry of helping people of all ages grow in faith!
Leave a Reply